Macrobiotic diet is based on the so-called "Zen" philosophy, which originated in Japan and it is mostly based on the intake of whole grains. According to this diet, grains should make up 50% of total food intake, vegetables should make up 30%, vegetable soup 10% and seafood 5 - 10%. Also, dandelion coffee or tea should be taken every day as well as brown rice tea or roasted barley tea. This diet does not allow eating meat, milk, eggs, carbonated beverages, candies and canned foods.
Since during this diet you should not eat meat, milk and dairy products, but only cereals, vegetables and fruits, you'll eat a small amount of calories during the day. You would have to eat really large amounts of fruit to enter, for example, 150 calories, approximately found in one glass of milk (e.g. approximately 10 apples have150 calories). A large number of experts recommend this diet because they claim it is very effective and will help you lose weight for a short time. Well, we could not agree more. By using this diet, you'll enter almost all the necessary vitamins and minerals your body needs.
Macrobiotic diet implies very low calorie intake, and it is very effective if you want to lose your weight and maintain your health. However, it should be avoided for a longer period of time, because it can create large calorie deficit. In this case, your body will start to degrade its own proteins from muscles and use them as a fuel source. Also, long-term use of this diet will lead to a deficiency of essential amino acids (amino acids that cannot be synthesized by our body, and they must be obtained from food), iron and some vitamins.
Therefore, this diet is not recommended for children, elderly people and athletes given that they require more energy.
The foods you should eat often: brown rice, barley and other grains, cabbage, spinach, garlic, carrots, kale, dandelion, beans, soybeans, chickpeas, fish meat (not more than 2 times a week).
Spices you should eat: ginger, oregano and rosemary.
The foods you need to avoid: milk and other dairy products, red meat, bread, pasta, sweets, canned foods, fruit-flavored juices, carbonated beverages, chips, grissini, banana, pineapple, hazelnuts, walnuts, beets, potatoes and zucchini.
Macrobiotic diet for women (Meal plan)
- Barley porridge - 1 cup (157 g or 5.53 ounces)
- Dandelion leaf tea and an apple
- Brown rice (cooked) with onions, parsley, ginger and olive oil - 1 cup (195 g 6.87 ounces) (500 calories)
- Spinach soup - 1 cup (245 grams or 8.45 ounces)
- Two peaches
- Cabbage salad seasoned with freshly squeezed lemon juice and garlic - 1 1/2 cup (195 grams or 6.87 ounces)
Note: Average daily requirements for an adult woman are around 1800 calories a day, which means you will lose 500 calories per day. In order to lose one pound of weight you need to lose about 3500 calories, which means that with this diet you will lose one pound/week (0.45 kg/week).
- Salmon, 3.5 ounces (100 grams) (200 calories)
- Barley tea -1 cup (8 fl oz.)
- One apple
- One peach
- Bean soup with oregano, rosemary and garlic - 1 cup (8 fl oz. or 250 grams)
- Cabbage salad seasoned with freshly squeezed lemon juice - 1 cup (130 grams or 4.76 ounces)
- 1 cup (150 grams) of fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup (120grams) of spinach soup
- 1/4 cup (50 grams or 1.8 ounces) of chickpeas
- Cooked carrots and peas - 1 cup (165 grams or 5.73 ounces)
- 1/2 cup of orange juice
- Two pears
- Barley porridge with carrots, seasoned with rosemary, bay leaf and garlic - 1 1/2 cup (235 grams), with lettuce
- 1/2 cup of orange juice
- 1/2 cup of cabbage salad
- 1 cup (180 grams) of cooked wheat
- 1 1/2 cup (200 grams or 7 ounces) of carrots, raw
- 1 cup of fresh strawberries or other seasonal fruit
- 1 1/2 cup of cooked barley with three carrots, leek, tomato and cabbage salad
- 1 cup (200 grams) of cooked rice seasoned with ginger and rosemary with lettuce
- 1 cup (240 ml) of cooked kale soup with garlic
- Three pears
- 7 ounces (200 grams) of grilled mackerel with green salad
- Barley porridge - 1 cup
- 1/2 cup of cooked rice with carrots
For men, the diet is the same, only the food amounts should be increased by 25%. The average man consumes about 2,200 calories a day, which means he will lose 600 calories per day or one pound in six days.